Sunday, October 25, 2009

Wedding Cake Surprise

Some friend's of mine were getting married and they had a very small budget for their wedding. They were just going to do bunt cakes for their wedding cake. I found out and told them that I would get together with my mother-in-law, who does wedding cakes and I would make their cake for them. Everyone should have a wedding cake and they didn't mind that I would be doing it for them with no real prior experience. So we came up with some suggestions as far as flavor combinations and luckily what they wanted as far as a cake goes was really simple.
So I made them a white lemon cake with blueberry filling. It matched their colors which were white, navy blue and green.
Other than the ribbon they just wanted dots on each layer. Which is fairly easy but hard to try and get the sizing and spacing even. This was really fun to do.










Now that the two layers are put together, I grabbed the flowers and was ready to do the fun part of arranging the flowers on each layer. I pretty much had the freedom to do whatever I wanted as far as flowers go so in order to stick with their colors I got the green spider mums, some smaller mums and then some white stock for contrast.





Well here it is fully assembled in my dining room. Transporting a cake is usually the most difficult part but this was a really small cake and we weren't going very far. I can totally see my imperfections when I look at the cake but it was really fun to do. It's kinda fun to discover new talents.

3 comments:

Elisa said...

WOW Lauren (and Mom)! The cake turned out beautiful! I love it. I am sure your friends were super pleased.

Laura Bloomfield said...

Lauren that looks Amazing!!! So, do you want to come down for Joseph's first birthday and do his cake? Or at least send me some pointers!!!

Casey said...

You weren't kidding! That cake is beautiful! Thanks for telling me about your blog so that I could check it out. :)